Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hooray!

I heard the greatest racist joke the other day. There was this Italian, this Frenchman and this Kenyan....
Just kidding. The only thing those three have in common is that they all speak a language that I want to speak fluently. I've been working on French for about 5 years now, and Italian and Swahili for a much shorter time, but my goal is that by this time next year I'll be able to communicate proficiently in all three.
Funny thing is, when I started learning French I had no intention of ever visiting a French-speaking country. In fact, I had no idea where or when I was going to use it, but I just knew that it would burn a hole in my heart if I didn't learn it. God knew, because in the last three years I've visited Burundi, Belgium and France and had to speak French in all three places.
And now the exciting news is that I'm leaving for the Caribbean in a few weeks! i can hardly believe it is actually going to happen! (Well, you never know with this hurricane. I hope it doesn't wipe out the medical school, not to mention the whole Island.)
Apparently they speak English in Antigua, and French, but I'm kind of hoping for some Italian and Kenyan classmates to, as this medical school specializes in training lots of international students.
Because I'm already a nurse I've been accepted into an accelerated program that takes 3-3.5 years, and the first 1.5 years are distance based, meaning I get to travel between here and Antigua and the U.S. doing a mixture of virtual and real classes and practicums. (Actually I'm pretty sure the practicums will be real.)
After all my basic sciences are done, I get to do clinical rotations- with perhaps- and here is the super exciting part- a 9 month stint in a rural area working side-by-side with another physician. I'm praying about and pushing for Uganda, but we'll see where God leads.
Actually I can't believe I'm going to be a doctor. I know 100% for sure that God has led me in this direction and has opened up and closed all the right doors; not so that I'll have a perfect life, but that I'll get to know Jesus and treasure him and give him the most glory. If I had a perfect life I'd already be able to speak Swahili and Italian fluently.
So I'm leaving in about 3 weeks and then I'll be back again in about 7 or 8 weeks, but you may not see a lot of me as I'll have my nose buried in my books. I'm hoping to keep this blog updated with exciting and extremely gross medical entries, so keep your fingers crossed.
In the meantime feel free to call me Heather or Zaza, you don't need to address me as Dr.. Especially if I'm going to continue to climb trees and make stupid bets involving push-ups or other athletic activities I think I can do.

4 comments:

thomassanz said...

Whoa, sweet! I'm glad you've finally decided. I was hoping you would go. We'll have to get together for coffee before you leave. I'm coming home next week.

Skip said...

Dr. Zaza has a certain ring to it, I think. As long as you still come back to Paul Lake and climb trees (or not!!) every year, all will be good.

Ian

Anonymous said...

If you are nonetheless residing at home and you are hoping to offer it, research indicates that there are many of homey details that will spur prospective buyers to help make a deal. Among them will be the smell of a loaf of bread preparing along with the aroma of sugar-cinnamon. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Interfgfgf[/url]

Anonymous said...

Know your earth. Prior to deciding to becoming planning and placing your backyard, be sure to analyze the pH from the earth. The level of acidity or alkalinity in the dirt includes a large impact on the types of crops that could be productive around the plot. Take numbers from several different areas of the garden as pH may vary from spot to area. Adapt the soil or your plants and flowers as required based on the things you find. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]S6uj74ny[/url]